Sunday, January 29, 2017

Romeo and Juliet Act's 1 & 2

           For starters, I have never read any of Shakespeare’s pieces, but I am obviously familiar with “Romeo and Juliet”. It’s a classic. I was never assigned to read it in my previous English courses. I’ve never had any interest to read it to be completely honest, but I do believe it’s good to read it at least once. From what I’ve heard from others that have read it-it sounds like a typical romance story between two people that fall deep in love and can’t stay away from each other (although Romeo and Juliet aren’t very close in age).
            In today’s society many people would explain their relationship as pedophilic because of their difference in age. I know people say “age is just a number”, but the relationship could potentially get complicated when both lovers start to get older. Many parents today don’t want their child dating someone who is at least two years older than they are. Then the parents end up judging the other parents because it “wasn’t right of them to let their child fall in love with someone so young” and vice versa. That can also relate to why Romeo and Juliet’s families hate each other, but I’m not really sure why their families have so much hatred for one another. It doesn’t really state why in the first act. I’m just assuming that the Capulets and Montagues families weren’t really at peace with each other because of money or power because that was really important back then (and it’s still important to some people today).  
            At some point in a teenagers’ life, a situation like “Romeo and Juliet” happens, but it’s ever rare that something that bad ends up happening to both lovers (at least I hope), for those of you who have read the book and knows what happens at the end, know what I’m talking about. Teenagers get into a relationship with someone they have started dating for a year or so and just assume they’re going to spend the rest of their lives with that person because they’re “madly in love” with him/her. Love is blind and it causes people to make decisions they’re not quite ready for, especially marriage. 
            Act's one and two were confusing for me to comprehend and process because I’m not familiar with Shakespeare’s way of writing. I’m hoping to catch on to his “lingo” and phrases. For example:






People say this quote from the book all the time and I have no clue what it means. Many people still speak like this today. Overall, I hope to have an understanding of what the book is really about because everyone describes the plot differently. I can’t really say I enjoy the book so far and I also can’t say I hate it because I just started it. I’ll just have to wait and see if/when the book gets interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly love how everyone is not about reading this book. Makes the whole concept of a debate about whether or not Shakespeare should be studied or not very interesting. Couple of questions though, what do you think of Romeo and Juliet's relationship? You mentioned that everyone goes through a "Romeo and Juliet" scenario. What would you do if you were in this situation?

    ReplyDelete