Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Holmes


Like many people in this class, I have never really read Sherlock Holmes prior to coming to this class. Most people do not fully know his stories and background but we’ve heard about the name Sherlock Holmes being referenced to many things. Since I am the type of person who watches crime-solving shows all the times, I’ve developed an interest in knowing the character and what he was all about.

Sherlock Holmes paved the way for many of the shows that airs on television nowadays. Almost all the top-rated shows airing now are based on some sort of crime solving plot, whether it’s NCIS or Hawaii-five-O (Hawaii five-O is awesomeeee).  Like I stated above, I enjoy watching these kinds of shows a lot. One of the shows relatable to Sherlock Holmes that I really enjoy is Forensic Files. Like Sherlock Holmes, Forensic Files focuses on cases that are almost unsolvable. The crimes being solved on this show uses all sorts of scientific methods that goes above and beyond to bring justice for the victims. Although, Sherlock solves his cases way faster, there are still some similarities between the two.  

After reading the stories, I’ve began to like Holmes more. One thing that I like is how he approaches the crime scenes. For example, in the story A Study in Scarlet, Detective Holmes began to look at the pavement and garden leading up to the house before he even met with the inspectors. This shows that he doesn’t rule out anything that could potentially help solve crimes. Another characteristic that I find very interesting is how he makes predictions based on just what he saw. After Holmes arrived to the crime scene later, he began to make connections based on what he just saw. Some of the things he stated was the height, cause of death, size of feet. I think this is where people lost interest in the Sherlock because those things are just impossible to confirm based on the time the stories were created. It’s obvious that no human can make those assumptions just based on eyesight but I try not to look at it from that point of view. when it comes to fictional stories, I like to think of it as reality. It just makes the story better and makes all the outrageous claims more believable.

2 comments:

  1. I have also see a few crime solving show like Scooby-Doo and recently criminal minds went my mom is watching it. But the one movie that is similar to a Sherlock Homes crime solving theme that I have seen is the movie Basil of Baker Street. Besides that, I haven't read nor seen nor read any other Sherlock Homes related movies or books before this class reading. So far it is interesting how he views and treats others as well as how he works in a strange way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abdou,

    First off, I totally agree that Hawaii Five-O is awesome! I really need to watch more of that show...

    Anyways, Sherlock Holmes' approach to solving mysteries is definitely intriguing. The tiniest, hidden details really showed that you cannot be sure about the outcome you've produced. With Holmes, there were also quite a bit of deductions that he himself inquired. Like anticipating the presence of a bullet under the window sash in The Dancing Man was pretty crazy, baffling the Inspector as well and completely changing the suspect's identity. Great post!

    LA

    ReplyDelete