Sunday, February 19, 2017

I find it really convenient that we are discussing adaptions of popular literature. First I’d like to mention that I can only slightly relate to people who read for fun. I could never really understand the whole “reading takes your mind to another world”. I enjoy reading comic books where that world is put right in front my eyes. Because of that, I never read any of the popular stories that people considered “worthwhile” and this includes Sherlock Holmes. Even though I had heard of Sherlock, but in a more insulting context (i.e. “No shit Sherlock”). Back to the point, I think it’s convenient that we are discussing fan fiction and adaptations because this is my version of Sherlock Holmes:

The child in the gif above is not-so subtly called “Conan” after the writer of Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle. It’s so obvious as to why he is called that, that it is pointed out a few times in the show, Case Closed. When I was younger (about twelve or so), the show Case Closed is the closest I have ever really been able to understand Sherlock’s adventures. From what I know about the stories of Sherlock Holmes, Case Closed is significantly more interesting, but it’s mainly because of how Conan solves the seemingly impossible cases.
Of course there are various other adaptations and references of Sherlock as well. Such as vagabond group of teenagers and their dog in Scooby-Doo, the failure of a detective Inspector Gadget, and the greatest detective since Batman himself Nate the Great. Often, however, most of the references to Sherlock are in a more comical (or insulting) sense, as seen below:
This is why I didn’t really know about Sherlock other than a reason to comically speak the King’s English, wear a deerstalker hat and tweed inverness coat, and smoke a pipe until the movie starring Robert Downey Jr. That movie was tough af. Mainly because of the couple of fights where he uses some clairvoyant sense to body tf out of Dredger. There’s also the show on the CW, which was amazing for the first couple of episodes. It started off as an interesting story, but slowly became very dry...like the CW. 

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the references to all the various forms of Holmes/characters he inspired. Completely forgot about the Jimmy Neutron one. I can't say I've ever heard of Case Closed, but it sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete