Monday, February 20, 2017

Is Sherlock Holmes Really That Great?

I have never before read Sherlock Holmes or found an interest in it although it has been something that I have always heard about. However, I have always liked detective TV shows, games, and books that were kind of similar. One detective show in particular that I used to love watching in particular, was Scooby-Doo. Instead of one detective, there were four people and a dog who rode in a mystery van to solve problems. Like Holmes, they put clues together to solve a mystery. It wasn’t the greatest show, but it was entertaining. Mysteries are cool because it keeps people guessing and constantly on their toes.
                                                              s.Image result for scooby doo

For the first story, a study in scarlet, it seemed that Dr. Watson couldn’t catch a break, but it seemed to be vital in order for him to meet Sherlock Holmes. The description he gave of Holmes made him seem fascinating and peculiar. To me, Holmes appears to be a complicated dangerous drug user. What I don’t understand is that if you’re a detective, why should you be mysterious other than solving mysteries? He also seems to be a phony because it seems that what he does, anyone could do if they actually put their mind to it. He mainly uses context clues to figure things out. He isn’t smarter than anyone he just uses different ways of finding out about things that other people aren’t used to doing.

 One part that I do like is that it was written from the point of view of Dr. Watson because no one can successfully pull off every mystery by alone. However, much of the description of Holmes in a Study in Scarlet is biased because in Dr. Watsons eyes Sherlock Holmes is the greatest and can do no harm.

When the king paid Sherlock to obtain the picture he was being threatened with it also reminded me of Olivia Pope from Scandal who always gets paid by high ranking people to do tasks and figure out problems. The problems that she deals with seem to be more dangerous and with the way that she figures out issues, I would dare to call her the modern day Sherlock Holmes.
                                               Image result for scandal


Irene took away some of Holmes greatness because in the end she was better than Sherlock. She managed to outwit the detective although she did have a warning ahead of time that he would be coming.  I also find it weird that the king gave Sherlock Holmes a job to do and it wasn’t completed. If someone didn’t do what I asked after I paid them for it I wouldn’t even think of offering them more. I think the king too easily trusts the words of Irene in a Scandal in Bohemia when she says “as for the photograph your client may rest in peace” (51) because that still leaves room for error or for her to change her mind. I don’t see how the King can find comfort in her disappearance leaving just a letter. Can Holmes really be called the greatest detective if he was outsmarted by a woman?

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with all the points related to Sherlock Holmes! Especially the reference to Scandal, I love that show. I can see how Olivia could be considered a modern day Sherlock. I've also never read Sherlock, but I am surprised as to how much I actually enjoyed reading it. Compared to the rest of the readings we’ve had. I am a fan of mysteries, so I guess you could say that's why I enjoyed it. I hate reading stories with predictable plots. This is the type of reading that make you want to find out what’s going to happen next. I also find it funny how Holmes is kind of sketchy/mysterious yet he is the one who solves the mysteries that are going around. Sherlock Holmes is good so far, but I feel as if people hype him up too much, like Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I'm a movie lover and I will for sure watch any show or movie that's based on a book before ever reading the book. I know that's not the "right way" of doing things but I mean I'm cool with it. I completely agree on your points of Sherlock Holmes because I mean from the movies, he is just all over the place but I gotta admit that the way he gets out of sticky situations is pretty cool. I also agree with how Olivia Pope is the modern day Sherlock Holmes, only better. I guess I love how Sherlock Holmes has a serious job with a weird personality and how Olivia Pope has an intense job and she's intense a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on how you compared Sherlock Holmes to Olivia Pope. You're making a valid point when you said "he's just doing something anyone can do if they put their mind to it." But at the same time I also believe he's actually thinking differently than other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Sherlock is absolutely thinking differently than other people, but the thing how often than not do people actually "put their mind to it?" I've seen and heard so many people (including myself) say, "Ohhhhh, that was so simple. I can't believe I didn't catch that myself." It's all because Sherlock thinks differently and is incredibly perceptive that he can solve all these crimes, not to mention his brain works so much faster than most people. I think that in of itself makes Sherlock quite special.

    ReplyDelete