Sunday, February 26, 2017

Sherlock doesn't entirely suck

Prior to enrolling in this course, I had never read Sherlock Holmes. Which, having looked back upon it, is kind of surprising. While yes, some of the things Holmes says can be considered narcissistic and  taboo for certain audiences, it's really well written. The language is great, and I'm really enjoying the blend between more modern english while still holding true to the Shakespearean style of saying things like "Pray" instead of "Please". I think it makes the story easier to read because it's the language we're most used to, while also reflecting on the age of the story, because no one speaks like that anymore. 

Also, the stories are really interesting. I mean yeah it's not like it's a Criminal Minds episode where there's like 100 different MO's and 30 people involved, but for the late 1800s, I think that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did a pretty good job of coming up with some original content. Although we haven't read a ton of Holmes yet, I can totally see why people consider this a classic. It's a fairly easy read, while also challenging the mind to not only get through the bits and pieces of  the older english, but also, the reader wants to know what happened! While I was reading the Speckled Band, I personally didn't pick up on all the clues, as it was the first time I had ever read the story, and found it really interesting that Doyle chose to make the killer a snake. I also loved that The Dancing Man was a code. I thought that was so interesting and creative! Yes it has been done before, but these stories are really old I think Doyle deserves some credit for coming up with such a creative concept!

I'm really excited and looking forward to continuing to read these stories, and also to hear what everyone else has to say about them. I really like that Doyle chose to make everything short stories. It makes it easier to read, and doesn't feel like you need to sit down and read forty pages of just straight words. Breaking it apart more makes it easier to follow, and I think more enjoyable, because it feels like less work. I'm really enjoying this so far, and look forward to continuing reading the stories

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I totally agree it doesn't seem like you're reading 50+ pages because of how it is broke up and written. It makes sense considering the times and how people would read to relax after long work days in factories. The Speckled Band was personally my favorite and I was blind sided by the ending too!

    ReplyDelete