Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Sherlock


I thought it was interesting that we were assigned to read Sherlock Holmes. I personally have never read Sherlock Holms once. I feel that there have been so many adaptations made from this classic that I only noticed if it was an adaptation if it was painfully obvious. After beginning to dive into the serious I now realize how many movies, novels and bored games were based off of this detective classic. Nate the Great was always my favorite novel growing up. My mom used to read it to me every night while I would fall asleep. While I was reading Sherlock Holmes I realized that I used to love basically the children’s version. It was great to experience a blast from the past from this assignment.

Another experience I have had with Sherlock is the T.V show which is on Netflix and I completely recommend. Not only is it of course based on the great story of Sherlock Holms but it is just a great show in general. Since I have watched the show while I was reading the story I couldn’t help but picture the actor Benedict Cumberbatch and how the show pictured his ability to read a situation almost like visions.
Image result for sherlock tv show

One thing that I really found interesting in the story is when he is explaining his ability to read people and their appearance to determine their story. Sherlock says “I knew you came from Afghanistan. From a long habit the train of thoughts ran so swiftly through my mind that I arrived at the conclusion without being conscious of such steps” (Sherlock Holms A study in Scarlet” Sherlock says this to Dr. Watson when he asks how Sherlock received the information that he served in Afghanistan. Then Sherlock goes on to blow my mind even more. He then tells Dr. Watson the thoughts that ran through his mind when he met him leading him to know that he indeed was in Afghanistan. Most of the clues Sherlock used I believe I could have noticed such as Dr. Watsons tan complexion or his hurt arm. However, he also solved that he went through such hardship and was by reasoning in Afghanistan without missing a beat and took no time whatsoever. This shocked me and Dr. Watson as well. Sherlock uses the stairs in the house as an analogy. He states that they both know where the stares are and where they lead but he asked Dr. Watson if he knew how many stairs there were. Dr. Watson answered that he did not and Sherlock said that is the difference some notice while others simply walk the stairs. Sherlock Holms is a mysterious character and I’m excited to continue reading about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment