Monday, February 6, 2017


When we were assigned to read Romeo and Juliet, I was planning on just reading the book and hating it again like I did in middle school. However, after the first act I decided it would be worth trying the app version of the book. The app was amazing! It tells the story of Romeo and Juliet the way it was meant. This time around I still cannot say it is my new favorite book, but I appreciated the story and characters more. I believe Romeo and Juliet were foolish beyond belief. Not only do they fall in love only just meeting each other they also kill themselves to be together. One thing that I was thinking while reading the story was that Friar Lawrence was partially responsible for the ending. If he wouldn't have given Juliet the concoction that made every believe she was dead, then Romeo never would have believed her to be dead. Also, he should have insured that Romeo was informed what they were plotting to do before taking action. While I was reading, I became more and more irritated with Friar Lawrence. Speaking of characters that irritated me, Juliet’s father drove me up a wall! I could not stand him and the way he treated his daughter. He had a solid first impression, but with time it becomes clear that it was all just an act. He did not truly want Juliet to choose who she wanted to marry. Her father only wanted to let her believe that she could choose. I noticed from the other blogs I read, and from what I'm writing that this book causes its readers to be frustrated with almost every character. As I was reading I almost wanted to yell "don't do that!" to each one of them. I believe it is important to realize that Romeo and Juliet has the same plot as almost every romance movie we have today. The plot where two people meet fall in love as soon as they lay eyes on each other and the next day they are married. Most movies don't have the in-love couple kill themselves though. I am a chick flick fanatic but I do think it is clear that we idolize love at first sight. In movies, they don't show all the awkward dates or boring conversations about the weather. No one would watch the movie or care! It’s like when Romeo said "As daylight doth a lamp; her eye in heaven Would through the airy region stream so bright That birds would sing and think it were not night." He proclaims his love for Juliet and how beautiful she is in the "balcony scene." Although they knew each other for a whole 2 seconds. However it is clear that this is what we want to see or read about. Most people probably don't believe in love at first sight. I feel that it is almost a dream that everyone has to just experience love at first sight.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in agreement that Romeo & Juliet are rather absurd for falling in love so abruptly and getting married right after- however, after the discussion we had in class where the point was raised that no one wants to see the time it takes to actually develop a romantic relationship, I have some new feelings about the idea.

    I do agree that it's silly, but it serves a purpose; to progress the plot and not waste several acts solely on them slowly falling in love, which is what would happen if it were written realistically. This applies to movies as well, which explains a lot. But as a direct result of this, I do believe what you say is correct; that we've idealized the notion of falling in love instantly, even though it doesn't happen (or maybe it does, beats me) and relationships take much more time than movies/books/etc. seem to indicate.

    ReplyDelete