Monday, March 6, 2017

Elementary Indeed.

First, let me begin this post by stating how awesome this series is. I think this show does a very good job at illustrating Holmes’s personality. In fact, I find that in this episode, the directors portray Holmes as a canny, and immature individual. For instance, when Dr. Watson wanted to encourage him to play the violin, he had a smart remark, but when she answered the phone, he immediately grabbed the instrument. With that being said, Holmes’s display of character leads me to believe that he might have some jealousy.
            One thing that I always remember is that jealousy is very dangerous. In fact, when it gets out of hand, it can give root to pride. Once someone has pride, it is difficult for them to reason with other individuals. Based on this episode, I believe that Holmes has a lot of pride. For some reason, it seems as though he is always searching for inconsistencies in someone’s’ claim or finding. You guys are probably wondering, well isn’t that what a detective is supposed to do? Well yes, but no. For instance in the hospital scene. He had a hard time believing that the girl was in a coma. In fact, he was screaming in her face as a test. But I guess he was onto something if he was right about the fake coma! However, I will say that Holmes has a very good sense of humor and is not afraid to do anything. I think my favorite scene was when Dr. Watson’s “date” showed up and Holmes said “Hey nice to meet you, I have heard so little about you.” That was a pretty bold move, and he did it with such wit and confidence. On the other hand, it is kind of displeasing to view how his temper can go from 0-100.Or maybe he has a dominant personality.

            His character was very annoying during the drug addict scene because it is a serious social issue but he was basically making a mockery and lacked sympathy. (A.K.A a common symptom of a sociopath.) Although he has a strange character, he is very good at figuring things out. I think that he just needs to be able to handle his emotions and obey conducts and ethical laws that investigators are required to follow. However, I need to remember that this is just a show and Holmes is a fictional character. Even though his personality is “odd”, if his role was removed, it would not be the same. Dear Holmes, you may be a pain, but I cannot hate you. Thanks for being entertaining!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what you mean when you say Holmes seems to be jealous. Jealous of who/what, exactly? I didn't quite understand.

    But I do agree that he's a very prideful and stubborn individual, much like the original Sherlock. The thing is, there's a good reason for that kind of abrasive personality- he has a hard time believing that he is wrong and accepting that he is wrong, because in his mind he KNOWS he isn't wrong, he's super smart and he's always right... and, well, I mean... He ISN'T wrong? Like, almost never. That's kind of the thing about Holmes in his many incarnations; he tends to be extremely smart and egotistical because he always gets his man and his deductions are always right. Holmes stubbornly refused to believe the woman was in a coma because all the clues pointed to her having been the murderer, and he's always right, so there must be another explanation... And there was.

    He's still a jackass, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This version of Sherlock Homes is certainly odd like all the other Sherlock characters I have seen so far. I liked that scene where he investigates the crime scene of the first murder and finds the thief. He is a person who has to say something smart about everything someone says especially if he thinks they are wrong. I am glad Dr. Watson in this version is different compared to the character in our readings. She is a smart women and can keep up with Sherlock's thoughts and not someone who is always in amazement or confusion like the other Watson in our readings. All and all, it was an interesting episode, and probably the best version of Sherlock Homes I have seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, i like this portrayal of Sherlock. I like the scene after they leave the addict meeting, when he explains as to why he doesn't participate in the discussion. Sherlock is an interesting character. He kind of reminds me of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory because of how he knows he couldn't be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would you think if the director/writers took out the idea that Holmes is an addict? I feel like it would make him almost too credible, he needs some type of flaw.

    ReplyDelete