Monday, March 27, 2017

Pride and Prejudice



     This is my first time reading Pride and Prejudice and it has been interesting and some what difficult for me as I've been reading. Jane Austen does a good job developing her characters and making Lizzy and Jane lovable so that the reader is rooting for them to find happiness. However, the way that the book was written bothers me, some of the language is difficult to follow and when the characters are having conversations it jumps back and forth between them without distinguishing who said what.

     Overall, I am definitely enjoying the book it just seems a little boring and slow at times. It's good once you start reading but it's difficult to start up again. The main plot has been to get the daughters married so it's not the most exciting plot line. However, considering the time period it is a very relevant topic and it is done well. I'm glad that Lizzy is not your typical 1800's girl who is dying to get married. Lizzy and her father are the only two rational people in the story. Lizzy was smart enough to turn down marriages because they didn't seem right and she was not happy with it. Mrs. Bennett is just annoying and probably my least favorite character because of this. But she is just doing what any mother would do to find her children a better future.It will definitely be interesting to see where the story goes and see who ends up marrying who and whether the family approves.

     It is very interesting to see how times have changed. If my sole purpose in life was to get married to the richest man I could find, it would be awful. Life back then was very different and Jane Austen does a good job of exposing it.
   
   



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm with you on the fact that the story can get dreadfully slow and boring at quite a few parts. There's an awful lot of talking, gossiping, and stuff like that; but not a lot of stuff actually HAPPENING. But honestly, part of that is probably the intent- because really, if you cut out all the unnecessary stuff, the book would probably be like, half its length or less. So I suppose all the slow bits are a necessary evil to an extent, to flesh out some characters.

    Mrs. Bennet is definitely my least favorite character too. Virtually everything about her is dislikable and it's kind of irritating, but clearly that's the point; she's the epitome of the 1800's woman, and her over the top, obnoxious nature is Austen's way of critiquing the notions and obsession with marriage that consume Mrs. Bennet's mind. For that reason alone, I appreciate her character- but I still hate her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sometimes difficult to really get into the book and the story if you stop and start reading, however reading through has really helped me. I also do like how we get this perspective of how life was back then and Austen really shows it well.

    ReplyDelete