Sunday, March 5, 2017

Sherlock Elementary

     I think Elementary is a pretty neat show based off the episodes I was watching. I really liked how they tried to change it up a little bit from the original Sherlock Holmes stories like having Dr. Watson being a woman (which was questionable to me at first) and how Holmes is a recovering addict. I honestly think the Watson character in Elementary brings more to the table than Dr. Watson in the Original stories. I think she is brilliant and helps Sherlock more than in the book. I really like the thought of Sherlock not being so perfect. It's cool to know that he has a dark past behind him that might change his way of doing or figuring out things. Although Sherlock Holmes being more mysterious and unknown in the books, it is much more enjoyable of an experience having some source of background information on him than not knowing too much at all in the books.

     Something from Elementary that brought me back to the books was the thrill I had watching Sherlock solve these insane mysteries. While reading the books, I would usually be bored to death until Holmes would explain how he solved his mystery but watching the show I felt truly engaged to every mystery the entire time. I could honestly see myself watching this show regularly since it's so exciting.

2 comments:

  1. I did enjoy the readings of Sherlock Homes, but watching Sherlock Homes on TV is more enjoyable for me. I have to say that I agree that Dr. Watson in this TV series Elementary is a lot better than the Watson from the Sherlock Homes readings. She is smart and can keep up with what he is figuring out and is more supportive. I like it that she is in charge of his well being and both have issue that need working out. That is how friendships can build between characters as they help each other through them. This version of the character Sherlock and Dr. Watson find themselves helping each other and one example I noticed was when Dr. Watson encouraged Sherlock to take up playing the violin again which was part of his dark past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, this Sherlock does have a dark past that we're aware of. For some reason, I completely blanked of that. You're right, it is far more enjoyable with us being able to get background information on Sherlock. I suppose it worked worked for the people back then, but personally, it bothered me as he didn't really have any depth to him (possibly courtesy of Doyle's distaste of Sherlock from writing so much on him). With a background story to Sherlock, we can glimpse why he is the way he is or why he does what he does - not too much as his was of thinking is way different from the ordinary person, but we can make our deductions.

    Also, I like how this Watson is able to keep up with Sherlock intellectually and doesn't put up with any of Sherlock's shit. It's far more preferable to the Watson who bumbles along side of Sherlock, and from what I remember in the stories, barely helps out Sherlock except for small jobs and the whole running away thing, but Sherlock was there to guide him.

    -Kirsten

    ReplyDelete