Saturday, April 1, 2017

Lizzie's a YouTube Star!



     I found The Lizzie Bennet Diaries to be very entertaining. It was more enjoyable than reading the book in the sense that since it was visual, it was easier to keep track of what was happening in the story, as well as being better able to hold my attention.

     I was most surprised by how different my opinions of book Lizzie and vlog Lizzie are. When reading Pride and Prejudice, I always felt Lizzie’s personality came across as strong and independent especially in a time where it was against the norm for women to be strong and independent. Going into the vlogs, I assumed that I would have the same reaction to Lizzie’s character and still like her which I still kind of do, but a little bit less now. I don’t know if it was the actress who played her, all of the “editing”, or what, but in this version Lizzie came off as mean at times, especially when Lydia would want to spend time with her.  It could also be that putting Lizzie into modern times, where women aren’t as oppressed, took away that feeling of sympathy I had for her.

     Jane was just as I imagined her to be! She was the super sweet character I had known from the book, always looking out for her sisters and parents. She reminded me of a baby deer half of the time, always so sweet and innocent. Even the clothes she wore played into the wholesome role.

Image result for baby deer drawing
Jane in animal form
     I looked forward the most to the episodes that had Lydia in them! She made the vlogs so much more entertaining and funny. She is the wild child in the vlogs, just like she is in the book.  Whenever she sprung up in the vlogs, Lizzie would seem to take it as her just being the annoying little sister, but to me it seemed like Lydia really just admired Lizzie and wanted to spend time with her. It was really sad how when Jane left to go to L.A. and Lydia came in to comfort Lizzie, she recognized that she was only second best to Jane in Lizzie’s eyes.

     One part of the vlog that I thought they did really well was Mr. Collins’ proposal to Lizzie to be his business partner. While watching it, I thought it was crazy for Lizzie not to accept Mr. Collins’ proposal, especially because she doesn’t have a job and is drowning in student debt. Even if he is super annoying, I thought it would still be wise for her to take his offer. I like how the creators of the series changed his marriage proposal to a business proposal because it better helps to illustrate the feeling people had in the book about her not accepting the marriage proposal, in that she was crazy to turn down such a good deal. 
What I was thinking as Lizzie turned down the proposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment