Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Oh vampires...

Ok so I am a huge Halloween fan and some people think i'm crazy to like Halloween more than Christmas, but I was a little excited when I saw we would read Dracula. I was a little worried at the same time because I had never read Dracula before, so I didn't know what to expect in terms of how it was written. I must say I was a bit surprised at just how much i've been enjoying it so far. I think what I enjoyed the most about the first chapter was when Harker was in the hotel and the innkeeper's wife put the crucifix around him. I laughed at this part because I could totally see my mom or grandma doing that. 
However, the details in these first few chapters that described the count made me picture exactly what he looked like at that moment. I have to admit that as I was reading, I couldn't help but compare the reading to Twilight and Hotel Transylvania. For one the scene where Harker is outside of the castle made me think of Hotel Transylvania and how nonchalant the guy was about seeing Dracula, which definitely wasn't the case in the book. I guess I really am apart of the vampire fandom deep down inside.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you and many other people have brought up that our generation just cannot help but compare Dracula to Twilight. Although I never read Twilight, I did see all the movies. Dracula seems much more creepy to me, which is why I think I would much prefer reading it. I definitely do not expect Dracula to turn into a dumb teen love story. Like you Jackie, I am enjoying the story much more than I expected to.... like a lot of novels in this class haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also never read Dracula before this class. I do like how it describes Dracula's appearance very well to the point where I would picture it in my mind. The first 4 chapters where interesting and spooky at the same time. Then again, this book is meant to be scary at times. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also was scared a little too read Dracula. Mainly because I didn't know what it would be like reading form that format. I can honestly say it is surprisingly pleasant reading for different narrator too the other. It allows the views and thoughts of all the characters. Although id have to disagree (As most people would) that Halloween falls just short of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly go into readings for class with a bit of fear, and with this one it was the same. I have a love/hate relationship with the way Dracula is described. I like how the details are so vivid but i also don't like how vivid the details are.
    I agree that the description of Harker standing outside of Dracula's mansion it does remind me of the human in Hotel Transylvania. I love that movie lol, both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a little skeptical going into Dracula, because honestly, I thought it was going to be super lame, but I'm really enjoying this! Like many of my classmates, I also really like how Dracula was described, because I think it's really nice to picture "The Original". Having that description of Dracula, makes it so easy to compare literally every other vampire I've seen to him

    ReplyDelete