Monday, April 10, 2017

p&p :-)

Honestly, I was pretty disappointed with the ending of the Elizabeth Bennet Diaries compared to how awesome the ending was in the original Pride and Prejudice. OG Elizabeth Bennet is suppose to be a sassy independent woman that ain't need no man, especially Mr. Darcy! At the end of the book she sees good in him and ends up liking him yadayada… But she never acted like she messed up by not liking him before. I think the diary really made her look like a wimp version rather than a total bad-ass in the book.

Image result for lizzie bennet diaries


Despite the ending, I think they did a great job modernizing the diaries since the book and movie are both a tad outdated. I have a passion for watching movies but this movie made me sleepy. The cast of the diaries (particularly Lizzie) was very energetic and made it exciting and very funny. The one part that really bothered me was the fact that the scenery barely ever changed (understandable considering it's a vlog/diary). I thought the whole Lydia sex-tape disaster was a very modernized edition of her eloption. Again, a big difference from the book that bothered me a little was how she came running back to the family knowing that she was wrong. In the story, although much sadder for the family, she pretty much says F U to the family and runs of with the biggest dingus ever, Wickham. I feel like the whole point of her interaction with Wickham was to ruin the image of the family without any remorse. Instead, she feels bad and isn't a back-stabber.

All in all, this series was freaking cool. I think that it is absolutely incredible how this series was created by a grad student and a few friends who really like Pride and Prejudice. I find that to be very inspiring and should encourage creative people to re-create their favorite book! I think making it a vlog was genius and hilarious for some reason lol. Lizzie had me laughing the whole series.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you about being disappointed with the ending of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries but mine was for a different reason. I was hoping that at the end they would get engaged just like at the end of Pride and Prejudice and when they didn't, it felt like a big let down for how long the series was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that viewers watching the whole 100 episodes expected something spectacular at the end. For me the first half of the Lizzie Bennet Diary's was not very interesting, but once the more modern aspects of the vlog serious came out it was a lot more interesting. Almost like a reality tv show. I also like the way Lydia was portrayed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some mixed feelings about the Lydia sex-tape thing. I mean, on the one hand, it was definitely a pretty good way to go about modernizing the whole 'eloping' fiasco. But on the other hand I'm like, really bitter about the fact that Wickham just kinda... gets away with it. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong- it's totally possible I'm misremembering- but did he even suffer any consequences for the sex tape? In the book, he was punished by being forced to marry Lydia, who has no money. But in the series... didn't they just like, completely gloss over what happened to him? Darcy gets the tape taken down and he's never mentioned again? That's kinda fucked up that he just gets away with it and goes on with his life. That's not really a resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too found the few change in the environments/scenes in the Lizzie Bennett Diaries series too limited compared to the novel. Plus I also like the Lizzie Bennett in the novel better compared to the Lizzie Bennett Diaries version. I like that in the novel, Lizzie Bennett was smart, independent, self-aware of what makes her happy and it seems more confident in herself. The modernization what a good change and you actually get to see the characters rather than imaging them as you would when you read the novel. All and all, the Lizzie Bennett Diaries were o.k. in my opinion, I still liked the novel experience better. I do look forward to seeing the movie since I haven't see it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zak,

    The scenes where Lydia comes back and feels terrible felt more dramatic than Jane Austen's version. It reminded me of West Side Story and how they changed the ending to have only Tony (Romeo) die. This presented a more powerful message to stop the gang's incessant feuding rather than Shakespeare's version to make the families awkwardly stop feuding. Great post!

    LA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with the disappointment in the ending. It just blew my mind how much time I and the other viewers dedicated to the videos only to have them end the way they did. I also believe it made Lizzy lose the sass and independent vibe she had in both the book and all the other videos. I hate when I grow to love a character and their personality only to have it all ruined in the ending.

    ReplyDelete