Sunday, January 29, 2017

LUV SUX

I am unsure if I have ever read Romeo and Juliet before. I feel like I might have read an excerpt it in high school, but if so, obviously I did not get much from it. TBH I did not care for the two acts we have read so far. This is probably because between rereading lines and lines of old English, and defining what words mean, I lost my momentum. I want so desperately to be one of those intellectuals that have a wealth of knowledge, all because they are so well read. With that said, although I did not fall in love with the play thus far, I can appreciate the writing, and acknowledge that everyone should have some background on Shakespeare’s most famous work. I look forward to being smarterer after this tragedy (i.e. the branch of drama and my pathetic interpretation).
Romeo and Juliet was written in a very different time, about a very different time, so it is hard to critique the validity of these possibly prepubescent youngster’s
love. BUT, as some of my classmates have already pointed out before me, the story is somewhat far fetched. This play is the definition of love at first sight
.
The play in a lot of ways demonstrates the excitement of young (foolish) love. It introduces Romeo as a love struck lad “friendzoned” by the beautiful Rosaline, but as soon as he laid his eyes on Juliet...lets just say Rosaline must not have had “Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear”. Romeo’s love seems very juvenile, which is to be expected considering his age. I believe Romeo’s infatuations and rebound to Juliet has made the story relevant over the years, because young, lusty love is a milestone of everyone’s teen years.
I understand the story is intended to be romantic, because their love escalates so quickly, and we already know it is so strong it leads to their demise, but I find that underwhelming. If I really believed they loved each other maybe I would be more invested in their courtship, but dare I say Shakespeare needed more plot development. I DARE NOT HE IS SHAKESPERE….but if I was feeling crazy I might I suggest Act 1, scene 6 in which Romeo and Juliet go on a date where Juliet says more than 5 lines to Romeo.  The couples first encounter only lasted a grand total of one page, and Romeo is already talking about marriage. Is he loosing his mind? Yes.


One last thought…Although literally everyone knows Romeo and Juliet die at the end, I think it’s super lame it is literally stated in the prologue. 

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, I enjoy the meme that you have posted there.I love how it ties into the theme of the play.I notice that you mention that the lead to their death is a bit overwhelming. I can agree with that. However, I feel as though if we were watching it in play form, the story would make more sense. But since we are reading the script, it is hard for us to envision how the story is going. Great post Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always felt that Shakespeare's stories seem fairly dull for how praised he is. Considering he was writing these plays in the 16th century, I find it funny to think that these plays were remarkable to the public.

    I like the point that you made about how the story relates to young love in today's society. Shakespeare will never die.

    Good post, great meme.
    -Zak K

    ReplyDelete