Sunday, January 29, 2017

Romeo And Juliet Acts 1/2


               I have never read the play until now, but I did see Baz Luhrmann’s, Romeo + Juliet, so it’s interesting to see how much of a spin that he gave the movie compared to the original play. Instead of seeing a classical teenager, all I see is an angry Leo DiCaprio in a Hawaiian shirt. However, I have read quite a bit of Shakespeare, Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello, etc., but surprisingly never Romeo and Juliet.

               Starting from the top, is there any mention of what exactly set off the fight between the Montague and Capulet families? It just seems like they’re pissed that the other family has the same amount of money in their bank account. It’s just one of those pointless arguments just to see who has a bigger ego.

               I do think it’s interesting that they made a point of saying how upset Romeo was and how he was avoiding his friends and his family. “And private in his chamber pens himself, shuts his windows, locks fair day light out” (1.1.140-142), his family sees that Romeo, shutting himself away from the world, is something that they are completely against. They make it seem that Romeo is trying to disappear all the time but maybe he just needs some time to himself?

               Now I think we can talk about Juliet, it just seems so weird (even though it was normal back then) that your family arranges your marriage and you don’t have much say. Also, Juliet is only 13 freaking years old and Lady Capulet is starting to tell her to think about becoming a wife and mother. “Well, think of marriage now. Younger than you here in Verona, ladies of esteem, are already made mothers” (1.3.75-77), this whole story just seems awkward to read once you find out they are right around their early teenage years. Just think of having to marry someone, based off your family’s request, at 13 no less, and then be expected to have kids and a full family before you have adulthood. It just seems so odd. Just that all these two pubescent teenagers want to do is be together and think that they are in “love” (it’s a loose term for a teenager), makes thinking of this book very strange. I mean when I was that age I was finishing up middle school, I Wasn’t thinking about who I was going to marry and whether I wanted to start a family with them, it just makes everything seem so unrealistic in this play.


2 comments:

  1. I also have never read this play until this class. However, I am very anxious to read about the dramatic events of this play. I agree with you regarding the conflict between the two families. It seems like ego is the predominant reason why the two families want to throw hands. Additionally, the whole getting marry at a young age thing is quite disturbing. At 13, most young children are playing with dolls and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although Luhrmann's film is a work of art, let's get down to business with the real deal.

    What kind of turkey sets up a story about the love life of a thirteen year old girl and her dumb, old boyfriend. That ain't love, that's gross! That was a different day that Mr. Shakespeare lived in. It's a damn shame that every time I read this story, I am constantly thinking about how uncanny the relationship really is.
    - Zak K

    ReplyDelete