Monday, March 27, 2017

Identify the pride and prejudice

Before this class, I have never read Pride and Prejudice. But I have heard about this novel. From the title, I assumed the book would be about two lovers from different social classes whose relationship was destined to fail because of their place in society and the disapproval from their families. However, after reading through this novel, I realized that it does not include the typical “cheesy love story” plot that we have seen over and over again. In fact the story does a good job at presenting all sides of a controversial topic that existed during the time. This story detailed how important marriage was for women and men.
One thing that is interesting about this book is that even though the characters are wealthy and come from notable families, some of them battle between whether love or status should be the primary base for a marriage. Even though this book was written a long time ago, I still believe that this can be applied to modern day times. In fact, there are other classic stories that present a similar motif. In Cinderella, it is expected that her stepsisters have more of a chance to dance with the prince than her because they are higher in status. However, the Prince decides to go after Cinderella despite her status. On the other hand, there was a bit of fairy magic that increased her chance, but you get my point.

Still as I continue to complete this book I apply “pride and prejudice” to my own life. Throughout the week, I have been asking myself what areas of pride and prejudice to I have in my life. In this book, it can be looked at from many different perspectives. The pride can be in the women or men marrying a spouse who is high in society and will continue the family fortune, and the prejudice is towards love or anyone who cannot offer high status to society. In fact, in chapter 35, Elizabeth grew weary and was ashamed of the fact that she was essentially being played. She stated “I, who have prided myself on discernment.” (127). In essence, what I took from this novel so far is that no matter if you’re rich or poor, love, status, and courting is not a simple task. With that being said, the many conflicts that Jane Austen presents throughout the book subliminally might question whether marriage is worth it. When I found out that the author never married, it helped my understanding. DON’T RUSH GUYS J

1 comment:

  1. I also never read nor seen Pride and Prejudice before this class, I am still haven't seen the movie yet, but I am planning on doing soon. So far, it does make me think as well as who those to qualities apply to my life. Pride can be a good thing, as long as it doesn’t make one self-careless about what he or she does and how their actions affect the relationships between them and others. As for Prejudice, though I don't judge people by first meetings and keep an open mind, I do tend to be more vigilant when I first meet a person. As for the characters in the book, I would say most of the characters do judge others based on first meetings quiet a bit. I am glad I live in a time where people get to be more social and talk to each other more face to face and develop their relationships that way.

    ReplyDelete