Sunday, March 26, 2017

Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice is an interesting read. I still don’t know how I feel about it completely. Its set in a different time, a period where women were supposed to marry for money and not love.
                Personally, I like Lizzy Bennet. I like her because she is very self-aware. She knows what she wants out of life and she knows she won’t take much shit from anyone. She doesn’t want to end up with someone who doesn’t make her happy. I liked how she turned down two wedding proposals from Mr. Collins even if it meant she would be financially stable. Not only did she turn down Mr. Collins, she also turned down Mr. Darcy.
                Although she turned down Mr. Darcy’s wedding proposal, I didn’t find it surprising when he made it known that he liked her. Honestly the way he acted towards her, with all the attitude, it was kind of a giveaway.  It kind of reminded me of when kids are young and boys don’t know how to express they like a girl so they are mean to them. Although this is complete rubbish, it still reminds me of it.
I don’t think I like Mr. Collins and Mr. Darcy. I also don’t like Mrs. Bennet. I don’t like Mr. Darcy because he is arrogant and thinks he is better than everyone. This isn’t a great aspect to have because usually no one will like you.  I don’t like Mr. Collins because he moved on so quickly after Lizzy said no to his wedding proposal. I mean yea she didn’t want him, but he didn’t have to move on like that. Mrs. Bennet isn’t my favorite because all she cares about is getting her daughters married. Yeah I understand during that time women wanted to make sure their daughters were taken care of but you don’t have to parade them like that. Don’t get me wrong, I like the fact that she wants nothing but the best for her daughters, but the way she goes about it as all wrong.
                Overall I don’t know exactly how I feel about the book. I am just waiting to see who Lizzy ends up with, if she even decides to get married. Honestly I don’t even think she’s that interested in finding a mate. I truly believe her sisters will marry before her. But yeah I don’t have any STRONG feelings of hate or love towards the book. 

1 comment:

  1. You know, after reading your statement that you don't like Collins or Darcy, it occurred to me that quite a few of the men in this story can be difficult to like at times. Collins, Darcy, and now Wickham are the most obvious examples of this. Bingley's an angel, so he's fine, and Mr. Bennet is a sarcastic jackass, but he's funny so he can get away with that. I'm not trying to say that Austen's a 'man hating feminist' (because that's stupid), I just thought it was a funny observation.

    ReplyDelete