Saturday, March 4, 2017


Overall I did enjoy watching Elementary. However, I believe now that I have read the Holms stories I am now able to compare it to the original plot and characters. I can say now that as Elementary had all the aspects needed to be a great T.V show I could see myself binge watching, but the original Sherlock has ruined this spin off for me. For starters, the fact that Dr. Watson is an attractive woman was strange. Before reading the stories I most likely would have enjoyed that there was also a female lead, but now I cannot get past it. I feel like the strong friendship that Sherlock and Dr. Watson shattered in the stories simply does not work with the female character. It almost seems to be a set up as a possible love interest of Sherlock which would ruin the whole thing for me. Crazy how reading the original stories has changed how I watch the spin offs.

Then there is the issue I had with Sherlock himself. I have only watched one or two episodes of the show Sherlock on Netflix. However, Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Sherlock is exactly who I picture after reading the stories. The actor picked to play Sherlock in Elementary just wasn’t exactly working for me. For starts the rich daddy he refers to isn’t exactly a new aspect I enjoyed. Also, I didn’t find him pale, tall, and skinny enough compared to what I pictured while reading the stories. Benedict Cumberbatch is exactly what I picture Sherlock to be like especially after reading the originals. Now I understand why people always hate movies or shows made that are based on books plots. Usually I embrace the difference between a good book and the movie made based off of it. However, this Sherlock spinoff I just cannot see myself enjoying after reading the original stories.
Image result for  playied sherlock on netflix

I am almost a little upset that the changes made in this show I did not care for because the crime scenes were great. I thought it was really cool how he solved they mystery. The details he used to solve the crime kind of blew me away. It was also really cool how in the end he revealed that the “evil twin” was also going to try to kill her kindhearted sister as well. I completely did not see that coming. Over all the show has its perks but it is not one I will continue to watch.

2 comments:

  1. I actually enjoyed the fact that Watson was a girl. I also enjoyed that the Watson in the episode and in the stories are different from each other. I personally like the girl version of Watson because she's helping him get through his addiction and I can see them having a great relationship. I do agree with you that the way the crimes were solved was pretty cool/interesting. The way Sherlock connected all the dots about the doctors ring finger in the episode was unexpected. I can see myself watching more of the episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with your concern regarding Watson and Holmes' relationship potentially becoming romantic, but I was pleased to hear in class that never happens. I find it ironic, however, the same issue is brought up in the BBC Sherlock. There was multiple references, even a direct conversation between Holmes and Watson about them being gay lovers. I never got that from the written stories, but possibly I was naïve. I can only see admiration of Holmes in the original stories, but nothing romantic. I do speculate that some may argue otherwise, which is why there was such remarks in the BBC series.

    ReplyDelete