Sunday, March 5, 2017

Feelings? What are those?

I enjoyed watching this episode of Elementary. It always helps me to watch something than to only have the chance to read about it. I also find it to be a lot more entertaining. The humor was much easier for me to pick up as well, which is always helpful and makes the experience more enjoyable. 


I like that the show stayed true to Holmes’ character for the most part. In the show, he still doesn’t take others feelings into account, although I don’t think he does it on purpose, I think that’s just the way he is. It was funny how when Watson asked him to get her a bag of chips and he ends up eating it instead. I don’t think he did it to be mean, he probably just got bored waiting for her to get back. Also, when he accused Rebecca of putting on a disguise to look like her sister to put the blame for the murders on her, I thought it was really insensitive considering all Rebecca had just gone through, but for Holmes, he was just trying to figure out who the murderer was no matter what it took.

I also like how they inserted some of the smaller details from the Holmes stories into the show. I liked how at the beginning they kept in the part where Holmes talks about there only being a finite of space in everyone’s brain. Again, it helped to keep Holmes’ character true.

I’m not sure how to feel about the fact that the show is essentially a police procedural. While I enjoy shows like that, I feel that it doesn’t really feel true to the original stories, even perhaps taking something away from it. In the original stories, Holmes and Watson were more like the “police” that people went to. As a team, they were more like independent detectives who had their own crime solving business.

I like Watson’s character more in the show than the stories. She seems to be a lot more involved in this version, offering input that helps Holmes and/or keeps him in check. The characters isn’t as much a bystander who is just there to support Holmes by following whatever Holmes tells him to do.

I think making Holmes’ a recovering addict is perhaps an attempt to explain why Holmes’ acts the way he does. During this episode, he seemed really irrational at times like when he insisted that he could smell the deodorant on the chair and therefore the second killer had to be a woman, only to find out that the person he suspected was in a coma. For those who are unfamiliar with the Holmes’ stories, who are going into the show with absolutely no knowledge, I think it makes the audience have to work harder to figure out what’s going on. Does Holmes really know what he’s doing, or is he just an irrational addict?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the humor was much more easier to pick up on than in the stories! Sometimes I would find myself re-reading the joke and then not even end up laughing because I didn't catch it at first. I also agree that the Watson in the show is better because she's just always trying to make sure he's doing the right thing, but she doesn't baby him, which a good thing. I enjoyed the part where Holmes was holding out his coffee mug expecting her to pour him more coffee. I believe that Holmes does know what he's doing, but he does it too arrogantly. The way he explained it towards the end when he figured out that it was the sister that was in the coma the entire time was cocky. He was just saying that he's noticed the tan line of the ring finger on the doctor and how he is so observant about certain things, but I believe that-that is what makes Sherlock, Sherlock.

    ReplyDelete