Sunday, March 19, 2017

Pride & Prejudice & Unfortunately No Zombies

So I've heard of Pride & Prejudice before, but I've never actually had the chance to read it. Just going by the name, I'd always assumed it would be a really boring read- and I'm actually delighted to find that I'm enjoying it far more than I anticipated. It's certainly not the most interesting thing in the world, but it definitely isn't what I expected.

So far I have a great deal of love for some of the characters; particularly Mr. and Mrs. Bennett. I found myself laughing at Mr. Bennett's extremely sarcastic nature and the way he talks to his marriage obsessed wife. He kind of struck me as like... being kind of exasperated by his wife's behavior. Not to the point of not loving her, but to the point where he thinks it's highly amusing to sort of mess with her a bit and kind of act like she's crazy.

Here's a really obscure one for ya; 
he kind of reminds me of Mr. Beady from Barnyard. 
But less depressed.

And on the other end, I find Mrs. Bennett to be a really hilarious character because of her obsession with getting Jane married to Mr. Bingley. The woman goes so far as to tell her daughter to go to his house on horseback because it might rain, and if she gets sick then she has to stay at his house. Like, what? That's a crazy messed up thing to do. For one thing it's a really manipulative way to get them to spend time with one another, plus it's also a burden on Bingley to shove a sick woman into his care for days. And that's not even touching on how screwed up it is to intentionally get your child sick.

Even when Elizabeth finally gets her mother to come visit Jane after she's been bedridden for a few days, Mrs. Bennett refuses to take her home after seeing the illness isn't serious and proceeds to lie to Bingley about how ill and suffering her poor daughter is- while also talking about how wonderful Jane is and how plain Lady Lucas's daughter is. She literally couldn't be more obvious about how hard she's pushing for Bingley to marry Jane unless she started repeatedly saying 'marry my daughter' in his face. It's absurd to the point where everyone is fully aware of how ridiculous she's being- Elizabeth is embarrassed by her mom's behavior, Bingley is trying his best to be courteous, and everyone immediately starts remarking on how she acted as soon as she leaves. And frankly, that's hilarious.

2 comments:

  1. The dichotomy between Mr. and Mrs. Bennett really came to a hilarious head in this reading with Mr. Collins's proposal. I was laughing so hard when Mr.Bennett told Lizzie that he wouldn't see her again if she agreed to marry Collins just to annoy Mrs. Bennett. Though I can only imagine how that joke must have stressed out Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you gave P&P a chance! Austen isn't for everybody, but I'm glad you're liking it. The Bennetts are equal parts exasperated and exasperating, both as a family group and as individual characters in the novel. Despite this (or, more likely, because of this) they are EXTREMELY entertaining. One of my favorite parts is when Mr. Bennett wants to laugh off Darcy's proposal to Lizzie and she bursts into tears, leaving Mr. Bennett more than slightly dazed and confused.

    ReplyDelete