Sunday, March 5, 2017

The appeal to Sherlock Homes

Before this class, I had some experience with Sherlock Homes. I never read the books before this class, but I have heard of Sherlock Homes and seen an animated movie based on Sherlock Homes theme. That movie is called Basil of Barker Street. Now looking back, I do notice a lot of similarities between this movie and what I have read so far. Baker Street is the same resistance of Sherlock Homes and had talents for science of investigation and disguise. The characters were all mice except for villains which were a bat (Fidget /Rattigan’s agent) and the rat (Professor Rattigan/ Professor Moriarty). Sherlock Homes character of the movie was Basil and his new friend Dr. Dawson who in this case is like Watson. It was one of my favorite movies as a kid.



As I grew up I experienced similar mystery movies like the Scooby-Doo cartoon movies, TV series Sleepy Hollow and Grimm, which is a mystery and supernatural themed. In all three, it involved a group of individuals rather than just two partners, the goal was the same, to find solve the mystery of the unknown truth. I guess that is what make any good mystery story appealing to the audience, including me. On a funny note, there was very similar aspects of Sherlock Homes in a comedy and adventure movie called Shanghai Knights with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. I think you’ll find this video clip both funny and interesting. I couldn't find it on the search to post it here, but if you like to see it, it is called Shanghai Knights - A Tribute to Sherlock Holmes on youtube. 




After reading the Sherlock Homes stories, I have a new appreciation of the imagination that goes into creating mystery story/movie. The whole point of a mystery is to keep the audience guessing is to what is the truth behind the secret or mystery until the end. All the Sherlock Homes stories I read in this class did keep me guess. It really made me think how is Sherlock Homes going to achieve success in his cases and who is the guilty one and why. The one story that was my favorite of the Sherlock Homes reading, was A Scandal in Bohemia. Mostly because even after going through all that trouble to finding out where Irene Norton was keeping the photo of the King of Bohemia, she found out what Sherlock Homes was up to. It is one of those situations when Sherlock Homes is in a way out smarted, which is little hard to believe, give how smart and clever he is. But, it goes to show, you should never underestimate anyone and in this case, and equally smart woman. 

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I completely forgot about The Great Mouse Detective. Wasn't it like, heavily implied in the movie that the mouse learned his detective skills from Sherlock, because he lived in a mouse hole in the same home as Holmes and Watson? Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally thought of Shanghai Knights as well, it's a pretty funny one. I love all the different types of adaptations you would never think about.

    ReplyDelete