Saturday, March 25, 2017

The characters and morals of P. P.

So far, I think Pride and Prejudice has been an interesting story and mostly because of the characters in the story.  Like mostly if not all stories, there are some I like and others I don’t like. Elizabeth Bennett is one of the characters I do like because she is a woman who is very aware of who she is and what makes her happy. (self-awareness).  Also, unlike most of the other women in her society, she will only marry to someone who she will be happy with and not just of their wealth nor good looks. So much so that she refused two marriage proposals from Mr. Collins despite the possibility of being able to inherit the estate if she were to do so.  Then she refused Mr. Darcy’s proposal because he said that ever though it is against his good reason and his character to marry her despite his feelings toward her. Mr. Darcy did it in a way that made it uncomfortable for both, but what really bothered Elizabeth was that Mr. Darcy said it was against your reason and will to marry her, and his involvement in Elizabeth’s sister’s affairs. Elizabeth is one of those characters that I think is trying to find love and look after her family. Family is the most important thing in my life, and I think it is one of Elizabeth’s important things she values as well.



As for the characters, I don’t like in this story so far, Ms. Bennett is someone who although wants the best futures for her five daughters by marrying them quickly and as soon as an opportunity to be married to someone wealthy. She does it in a way that seems pushy and she is easily unsettled by her husband’s opinions about what is good for their daughters and who doesn’t push his daughters if at all to marry in a hurry. Not to mention that I can’t stand that way she speaks in a high-strung voice.




 As for the story, I do like how that story has different characters with different temperaments and their own views and goals in this Victorian, English society. It lets me get a better look and understanding of each character in this story rather than just the main and supporting characters. As for the matter of how marriage is done in that time period, it is similar to women are compelled to marry for their own as well as for their family’s benefit and wishes like in Romeo and Juliet when Juliet’s parents wanted her to marry Paris. But in this story, the women seem to have more sway and more choices to who they want to marry in terms of good looks and wealth. Still, I am glad I don’t live in a time where anyone is compelled or forced to marry anyone, but rather marry for love and the relationship between to people. Love is an important and precious thing in anyone’s life. I guess that is what this story is mostly about, his what makes people happy, their feelings of love, and their views and pursuits of them. 



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Justine, Lizzy is definitely one of my favorite characters because of how independent she is. She drives her mother crazy because she wants more out of her life then some random husband who she will probably despise the rest of her life. She shows great judgement and pride by denying to marry Mr. Collins and Mr. Darcy.
    I do disagree with you about Mr. Darcy. Although he is definitely a horrible person in many ways, I find his character extremely interesting. He plays his part as a wealthy man well, but I think deep down there is a lot more to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Mrs. Bennet! She really can come off as pushy, especially when she threatened not to speak to Lizzy if she didn't accept Mr. Collins' marriage proposal. I guess he is just trying to do what's best for her daughters but does it in a really off putting way.

    ReplyDelete