Sunday, April 9, 2017

Barf

Although there were many opinions on The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, I wonder if we could agree on some points made in the article "Pride and Prejudice at 200: Stop Looking for Mr. Darcy". The point that stood out for me the most was the very last sentence: "The romance plot is secondary."
As I said in class, the only part of the Lizzie Bennet Dairies that did not work for me was the fact that Lizzie's character made too much of a dramatic switch to a swooning romantic, when every video prior to the 95th she was the cool hard to please girl... what some of you perceive as bitchy. Given, this I am only talking about the last five videos...but isn't that the part WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR! This just did not work for me. The adaptations up until this point did not lead me to believe the ending would be based on romance, but rather I would have focused on Lizzie's development of her relationship with Lydia, focusing on her approval of her best friend's success, maybe something in her career, or even keep the ending as her approval of Darcy, but tone it down please. 
I know this is fiction, and it does not have to be realistic. Because the sourced text is set in a very unrelatable time to us I found this adaptation much more relatable, and it ended with a cheesy unrelateable swoon of puppy love. Barf.
Cool Lizzie

ew Lizzie






As for the other fanfics I looked into....
These stories did not grab me at all. All of the ones I looked into under the modern era had nothing to do with the original story other than the character names and personalities. At least with the Regency era the situations were "more appropriate" to me....I mean common prom story? I know this makes me sound like a hypocrite after saying I like an adaptation such as the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, but modern written stories did not do it for me. I feel it is some what juvenile, but I could not explain why I feel that way, because I know many of these are well written. 
I also find it very strange that people buy clothes and accessories of that time. I understand if you want to dress up for a convention or event, but these costumes are not cheap! The etsy link has dresses as expensive as $350! How many times will you wear that dress? If any! I guess some people just like collecting. 




This is the $350 dress custom dress.... NOT IMPRESSED....tbh looks like shit

Folks sure do love this novel!!

2 comments:

  1. I do agree that the only thing these fanfic's had in common with the real story were the names and characteristics, but I did enjoy the one I read! The prom story was so modernized, which is probably why most people didn't enjoy it. It didn't stick to the plot of the story at all. I also find it strange that so many people devote every bit of their free time to this. It's actually kinda funny to see the things people obsess over like the shirt Firth wore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do really like Greenfield's article, and how she justifies why the Lizzie Bennet Diaries took their approach on what they thought of the stories. I just don't know if any of the modern versions of the fanfic has the same feel as the original, they just seem out of place in the modern day.

    ReplyDelete