Sunday, April 9, 2017

FAN GIRL!

Who would have thought that Pride and Prejudice would have been so popular? I mean think about it! People have become so invested into the characters and writing adaptations. Through my search on the internet of popular fan fiction, I came across a short story adaptation that told the story from the point of view of high schoolers. This was personally my favorite piece of fanfiction that I came across because it was an easy read that fit well with the modern times. The prom is such a huge event for teenagers, and to see Pride and Prejudice told from that point of view from a high school teenager while also including elements of a typical love story that any average teen would enjoy. My favorite part about this story is that it included all elements from the novel but simply applied it to a prom. For instance, Lizzy turns down Darcy’s request to go to prom, which caused him to take a sophomore to prom mainly because they looked good as a couple. It is interesting how an element of pride was illustrated in this fan fiction adaptation because since Darcy is the popular guy, it is important that he bring a date to the prom who would reflect his popular image that he had at his school.
            In addition to the prom story adaptation, I really enjoyed the short story where Darcy and Lizzy were coincidentally on the same plane. This was actually my favorite fan fiction story because it really highlighted Darcy and Lizzy’s relationship rather than focusing on all of the other characters. The main thing that I liked about this was that the story did not have a “picture perfect ending”, but it instead had me wondering what was next. I began to wonder how the plane ride was going to be and what they did when they arrived in London. Although the short stories were brief, those two modern adaptations were very well written, and the stories were effective in grasping the audience of its readers. On the other hand, not all Pride and Prejudice is necessary. For instance, there is an entire website that is dedicated to clothing that was worn around the time period that this novel was published. But then again, if people like the book that much, then who am I to judge? Just know that you will not catch me in any classical Pride and Prejudice classical clothing. I’d much rather be wearing Lizzy’s blue prom dress and heels that she wears in the modern adaptation.


I pledge that I have neither given nor received unauthorized aid on this assignment.

1 comment:

  1. It is really interesting to see how this story has actually aged really well. There are many pieces of literature that after a while just fade out and disappear, but this has been around forever and I don't think that people are going to just stop liking it one day. There are so many different ways for people to celebrate and adore it, which is an awesome thing.

    ReplyDelete