Saturday, April 29, 2017

[Clichè Sherlock Reference]

Like I said in a previous post, I have seen many adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, either through a theater film or a cartoon, but I’m kind of glad I didn’t because the original source material is boring in comparison. It’s possible that I could just be whining because I’m forced to read this for class, idk…My favorite adaptation is “Case Closed”, and ever since, I’ve never come across an adaption that really matches how well the series embodies Sherlock Holmesiness. So, when we were told to watch the “Elementary”, I went into it with an average expectation (maybe a little less than that).

Honestly, the show was pretty dope. The one thing that really makes this adaptation stand out is the new way they decided to portray the traditional characters that we’ve all come to know. First of all, “Holy fuck, Watson is a woman? Lmao, that’s new.”



Were pretty much my first thoughts once the character was introduced. It was definitely a nice little change to the story, and bound to happen eventually. Though I would have been more appealing to me if Sherlock was gender swapped rather than Watson, but cool nonetheless. Her reason for being with Sherlock is also interesting. The stories have Sherlock as a roommate to Watson, and in the series, Watson is a companion both professionally (drug rehab buddy) and socially (roommate and possible love interest??). Which may not seem interesting by itself, but with the fact that she’s his rehab companion, it brings to light problems that Sherlock has. The adaptations that I have seen of Sherlock (excluding the movie with Robert Downey Jr. and the Netflix series) have mainly targeted children or younger viewers, so I don’t imagine a Sherlock with health issues, just a really smart dude that solves mysteries. I do applaud the show for that though. All in all, the show captures what Sherlock would be in our society pretty well. He’s hella observant, but that comes with several issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment