Monday, April 24, 2017

mr dracula

In middle school I participated in the play Dracula and thought it was a pretty cool story. Now reading it again, I think it is awesome. All the girls I went to middle school with pretty much ruined vampires and stuff for me when Twilight was the big thing. I just always had to think of vampires as sissies that sparkle in the sunlight or whatever they do lol. But after reading most of Bram Stoker's Dracula, vampires are pretty badass. Dracula brings so much fear and curiosity to everyone in the story.

I did become pretty surprised in class and reading fellow classmates' blogs on how Dracula is a representation of immigrants raping english women (if I have that right) back in the day. It all made sense and made me sad because now I can't look at vampires the same :/
Image result for dracula funny
mess with pupper you will be supper



5 comments:

  1. I never really watched the Twilight movies, but the few trailers and clips I have seen are alright, though as vampires go, I can think of better versions I have see. The vampires and Dracula I have seen I the movie Van Helsing and in Dracula Untold are more similar to what I expect vampires to be like. Plus both are more of action, adventure, and suspense than romance and tragedy in the Twilight version. I like the selection of books we have read in this class. It was a good mixture of different types of reading and themes that I felt got all of our attention and for the most part, our interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the whole immigrant thing in Dracula is extremely gross. Like dude, seriously? I get that it was a different time and all, but, ugh...

    Since you mention Twilight, I'm actually interested to see how we came from Point A (Dracula) to Point B (Twilight). I expect the film we're meant to watch for class tomorrow will shed some light on it, since MB mentioned it's the first time Dracula is presented as a 'tortured lover'. I suppose that probably means the film adaptation is singlehandedly responsible for the conversion of vampires into something more romantic than spooky? Guess I'll have to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Dracula s pretty bad-ass especially with how he scales walls and flies away. As for Twilight, I was one of those obseesed girls reading it. Dracula is more action packed and related to the real world while Twilight is made up. I think the reason vampires became romanticized was because people began to fantasize about them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really get the immigrants raping English women thing until a second reading of the book, and now having watched the movie, and I must say, its changed how I feel for Dracula a bit. I mean, he's a total badass and it sets the bar for a whole generation of vampires. I don't understand how one goes from Dracula to Edward though.

    I will say, my grandmother thought I was one of the twilight worshipers and got me every book, and I really can't stand them. I did however watch the riff-tracks version of every movie and enjoyed making fun of stupid moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree the immigrant thing in Dracula is awful! I do agree with the fact that the vampires in Twilight sparkle in the sunlight ruins it for a lot of people. I will forever be a Twilight fan though... sorry not sorry

    ReplyDelete