Monday, April 10, 2017

I'm very much a "if its not broken, don't fix it" kind of person. I have a lot of very mixed emotions about the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. I think that Pride and Prejudice is a classic, and should stay that way. I don't think it should be adapted anyway, as it has gone down in history as a classic. I felt the same way with all of the adaptations of Romeo and Juliet. I think there is something incredibly powerful and interesting in the original text, and I think that we should all be able to appreciate the historical importance of the original text.


That being said, I also think that the Lizzie Bennet Diaries are important so we can interpret the original text in a new, modernized way. Having the text displayed to viewers in modern English makes understanding the story line so much easier, but also makes understanding Austen's jokes so much easier! One of my favorite moments in this series is when Lizzie is talking about being the middle child. That was so relatable for me because I'm also the middle child, and having the more modern version to tell me "oh Lizzie's the middle child" really made me connect with the story line overall in a better way.


Overall I think I really enjoyed the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. They were very funny and so easy to follow. However I do think that we must regard and appreciate the original text more. Our society is full of sequels and adaptations. There's hardly any regard for originality anymore, and the first versions of things are being set on the back burner. I think as a whole, we must appreciate what came first more

No comments:

Post a Comment