Sunday, April 2, 2017

Let me just run into that brick wall of prejudice

So... let's get this out of the way. Mr. Douchey was rather clever.

Now, while I appreciated the cleverness of that name, that's about all that really hit me. While its definitely an interesting Youtube series, I'm certainly hoping its a parody.

I took the time to read a few other blog posts before writing mine. I agree with Amber, Charlotte was not depicted well at all, and the racial stereotype was just glaringly awful considering they're the same age in this telling.

I agree with Sean, that Lydia is a glaringly obnoxious, and I shall add, twit. She's awful. Truly awful.

I started wishing that the series was over about 15 episodes in as well, mainly because it started driving me crazy just how bad the stereotypes were. Like seriously? Is there nothing better to do than make Pride and Prejudice so overly stereotypical that we jump from "What if he's gay?" to "What if he's a serial killer?" to ever better "What if he's a gay serial killer?".

After about half an hour of banging my head on my keyboard in frustration over how obnoxious the characters were, I found I needed a break. I spent a half an hour watching Red vx. Blue to try and get their voices out of my head, as well as the migraine which had slowly formed. I then got a glass of wine, and started back up again.

(Side-note! This is skip-able!) I, however, must go back. In episode seven I believe, Lizzie vents about the dance between those who catch the bouquet and those who catch the garter. I must say, I'm so very glad I've never seen that dance at a wedding before. I started thinking about it because my mother called to tell me about my cousin's wedding that is coming up. (End side note)

Also, drunk Lydia. I really expected that honestly, and then Charlotte starts becoming a munching Debbie-Downer. Gosh does she get hangry.

Then later, the "no he doesn't like me" argument in episode 33. It happens to irritate me most of all. Also, I kept appreciating Jane's character. I think she was the only one I really started enjoying at all, even if it wasn't much with this series.

Also... living with a bunch of swimmers, not all of them are chiseled and beautiful creatures, but the weak beer is pretty close (Also, most of the ones I know like the many flavors of Smirnoff's vodka).

"My mother has taken nuts to a new level."

I identify so much with that one statement.

Then, I started noticing how accurate the imitations of Mrs. Bennet are in the modern sense of Pride and Prejudice.

Anyways. I need to stop Internet venting before I become another of these Lizzie Bennets who rant on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment