Monday, April 3, 2017

The Diaries of Lizzie

I've never understood really how hard core people go for the things they love.  For pride and prejudice, fans seemed to have gone to whatever lengths they can to support their favorite book. I'm not a big pride and prejudice fan, but I would assume that fans of the novel didn't exactly favor these videos.

In the Lizzie Bennett diaries I felt that it was more of a parody. To me it made the characters seem more outlandish than in the book. I think some characteristics of specific people were emphasized then more in the book.

In the video blog Lizzie's sister Lydia seemed to be very annoying and came off as a hoe. I thought that it was rude how Lizzie took as many chances as she could to point out her infidelity. Whenever the topic of Lizzie's mom is brought up, something is always said about her being crazy. Mrs. Bennet is always seen as the mom who goes to extreme lengths to hook her daughters up with eligible bachelors. In the book, to me it come off as more of a caring aspect instead of crazy antics.

One thing I wasn't prepared for with the Vlog was how bearable Mr. Bingley looked. He looked better than expected because I thought he would have been older. I didn't think that viewers would actually get to see characters other than Jane, Lizzie and Lydia.. Jane was of course portrayed as the nicest person in the world which does align with the book. However, the one person she couldn't say anything nice about was Mr. Darcy.

Overall, this web-series was annoying. The whole series seems like a joke because it didn't seem like any of the characters were played seriously. For me, the problem was how Lizzie Bennet delivered the message. Instead of acting out a story with just her and her sisters they should have found a way to actually incorporate the characters they were talking about. Also, Charlotte is supposed to be in charge of their vlog, but she practically disappears.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that for the most part so far, the Lizzie Bennett Diaries has been overly dramatic and ridiculous in the way the characters act. Some of the characters like Jane and Ms. Bennett are at least similar to how the characters in the book were portrait. Also I really preferred it more to get to know the characters through their interactions rather than just Lizzie's view point for the most part. And my god, Lidia is so freak en annoying I for the most part couldn't stand it. I just hope these next 50 clips turn out better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on how the characters are portrayed. Most of the characters seem to be more vocal. However, I can tolerate Lydia because she's very adorable. Additionally, the video does seem a little annoying at times because of all the rapid chatting occurring at once.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you on how the characters are portrayed. Most of the characters seem to be more vocal. However, I can tolerate Lydia because she's very adorable. Additionally, the video does seem a little annoying at times because of all the rapid chatting occurring at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the web series would definitely entertain and appeal to a hardcore Pride and Prejudice fan rather than to a person who is reading the novel for a class. Although I am not a die-hard fan, I think that this series was well thought out and a good one.

    ReplyDelete