Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Lizzie Bennet Diaries

What I enjoy most about this series is how the character were portrayed. I think that's what made liking Pride and Prejudice so much easier for me, is to put a face to a name. My favorite character in this series is Jane because after reading the book, she is portrayed exactly how I pictured Jane to be. For me the sisters and Charlotte were all brought to life in a very cool way and I think that's what made watching this series so entertaining.
However, I watch YouTube videos literally all the time so watching a lot of episodes in one sitting didn't bother me, but what was lacking with the series is the anticipation to watch the next video that I guess it had when it first came out. Since all of the videos are there already it can be overwhelming. I'm a visual learner so being able to see how the characters react and interact is a big reason why the LBD is so helpful.
Yes, I do think that it had its dry spells in some episodes but that happens to every show. I was going to say I didn't like how it had the same scenery in majority of the episodes but it's a diary so i'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to record these videos outside of my room. Overall, I really found this web series helpful because it had more modern language so it was easily relatable. I still relate to Lizzie no matter what time period the story is told. I don't love the series as much as I hoped, but I did get what I wanted from it which was to understand. If someone asked me if I would watch it again, it would be a no but not in a bad way lol.

5 comments:

  1. For the most part I also like that way Jane was similarly if not just like in the book Pride and Prejudice. I also like Charlotte's character is portrait in this version as a friend to Lizzy. Lizzy in this version on the other hand is a little too overly judgmental and seems to care more about her opinion that other's. Also I do prefer to learning more about the characters based on interacts with each other and not just through one or a few characters perspective. But then again, like you said, this is a diaries base story telling setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, although I really enjoyed the series, I agree, there are a few dry spells. For me the biggest one was around episode 70-85ish. However, I have to disagree about the scenery. It can be be boring at times in the offices, but I really enjoyed how in Lizzies room you could notice things new things in the background like the "L" embroidery Jane did for Lizzie. I also liked the detail of the childish poster like pictures appropriately put on baby sister Lydia's door, which you can only see in the background when Lizzie's bedroom door was open. Little details like that I really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% that there are couple chunks of videos where I had no anticipation to watch the next. Only when they changed the setting did it start to get exciting again. I don't regularly watch YouTube; mainly because once a start I cant stop and end up watching videos that I never had the intention of watching. With this series I felt as if the videos just simply wouldn't end. I do like the fact that the vision aspect of seeing these characters interact helped me grasp a firmer opinion about them. `

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the man thing that killed me while watching this YouTube series was how the scenery was almost always the same. I do understand that it is suppose to be a diary-vlog thing, so I couldn't have expected the scenery to change much. I really like this adaptation of Pride and Prejudice since it almost perfectly modernizes the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Idk man...I've seen my share of YouTube videos back in my day, but this, this was unbearable. Not because the act of watching the series was overwhelming, but just that it was tedious...Like each story pretty much had the same tone despite being episodic, so they all just melded together as one adult woman with high school teen relationship issues and college debt.It definitely does help that adapting the story in this format does provide a very personal way of viewing the interactions among the characters, but at the same time, it's pretty superficial because most of what we know of the characters is just from what Elizabeth tells us.

    ReplyDelete