Monday, April 3, 2017


     The Lizzy Bennet Diaries have been so far, my favorite assignment. I absolutely loved the grad student who was making the video blog for a class assignment. Also, the jokes about mass communication majors suffering from unemployment I thought were hilarious as that is my major as well. She did a great job taking a very old classic and translating it into our modern times. She defiantly has some great friends that were willing to help here with this project which I’m sure was very time consuming. Her friends also helped make the video and the girl who played Lidia way great and acted somewhat how I pictured Lidia to be.

                I am sure guys enjoyed some of the jokes and modern twist on this classic: however, as a female so many of the jokes was wildly relatable. Before being assigned to watch these videos, I have heared of them vaguely before but I had no idea they were based on Pride and Prejudice. After watching the videos, I spoke with one of my friends about them and apparently, she watched every video because she absolutely loved them. It was fun to be able to chat with her about this college students video blog that went viral.            

                I have been forced to post a good amount of content for various classes and I cannot imagine one of them going viral as the Lizzy Bennet Diaries did. It is clear that a lot of effort and time was put into these videos as the script and editing was so well done for a school assignment. The videos almost inspired me to go the extra mile on my next YouTube assignment because who knows could go viral. However, I am not holding my breath.

                Honestly, watching these videos helped me to dissect the characters better. As Lizzy was narrating each event and character her modern twist and assumptions helped me dive into the story and characters to attempted to examine the novel from a different angel. Also, one of my favorite part of the videos was clips she tells her friend to filter out but she never does. I think it just added to the comedy that made these videos so enjoyable to watch. I would defiantly recommend these videos to anyone reading Pride and Prejudice or someone simply looking for a good laugh. I am excited to finish watching all of the videos.  

6 comments:

  1. I agree, these videos definitely helped me understand the characters better, although I am not sure how much I enjoy them in these vlog videos. Reading Pride and Prejudice and then seeing it adapted into a modern version is very different. Like we discussed in class, we tend to picture Lizzy and some of the other characters differently in the book simply because the language is different. Hearing them say similar things in a more modern language is almost off putting because it sounds so much harsher. My opinion of Lizzy for example, is very different from in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to enjoy the Diaries so much! I totally agree with you that the videos help us understand the characters even better. Their costumes alone give us insight into their personalities. Did anyone else notice Lydia always wears bright neon colors up until she has her video scandal, when she starts wearing darker, dull colors? Meanwhile, they all have red hair, but different shades of red. At first I thought nothing of it, but now I suspect that was planned to show they are all different people, even though they are sisters. Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I enjoyed the diaries so much! I would watch so many episodes at a time and not even notice how many I watched. Watching the videos also helped me better to imagine what the characters looked like. From the moment I started watching the video diaries, I knew I was going to like them. I just finished them all and I was actually kind of upset that they ended. I also enjoyed how modern it was. It was entertaining and relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, the casting and costume design and make-up were on point. At the beginning, Lydia's hyperness was exactly what I imagined it to be, but I love the fact that they actually gave her depth, Charlotte too. Both of these characters appeared far more often than in the novel and their fates are vastly different. I love the fact that Charlotte wasn't stuck with Mr. Collins (and expertly knew how to handle him), and I'm REALLY glad that Lydia wasn't stuck with Wickham. Speaking of which, I did not know it was possible for me to hate this man more than in the novels, but here we are. I really would've loved to have seen Wickham getting exactly what he deserved. Also, I 100% agree with Charlotte's editing. Not only does she not take out the scenes that Lizzie wants her to, but she adds notes and doodles on Lizzie. It's wonderful. <3
    -Kirsten Purser

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad someone else enjoyed the Diaries. They were in fact great! I'm pretty sure my favorite was the portrayal of Lydia. I just love how carefree she is. Everyone says they don't like how "slutty" she is, but she's young and living. I think watching the show made me understand the book more even though it was told in the exact same manner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The diaries are very engaging and was a great way for me to relax my mind and view someone elses life. I also loved the acting. For me, watching the diaries also helped me understand the characters more a well.

    ReplyDelete