Monday, April 24, 2017

Om Nom

Alright so I have really mixed emotions about vampires. Part of me think that they're super cool and Halloween is lit and stuff, and another part of me thinks their super cheesy and glitter and all that disaster. However, I absolutely love Dracula. He's so scary and creepy and I love it! I love Halloween and creepy stuff so I'm not gonna lie, I nerded out a little bit when I found out that we were reading a book about creepy stuff.
In regards to the actual writing style of Dracula, Bram Stoker outdid  himself. In my opinion, I think his descriptive writing is the best we've read thus far. It is so easy for the reader to visualize exactly what is happening, which is part of the reason why I think that this book goes down in history. One of my favorite lines is "The Castle of Dracula now stood out against the red sky, and every stone of its broken battlements was articulated against the light of the setting sun" It's so descriptive and beautiful. I think that this book is a work of art, which also makes sense as to why this book has resonated for so long,

Image result for vampire memes

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book too! It was a nice change of pace from Pride & Prejudice (which wasn't THAT bad, admittedly, but it sure ain't no Dracula.)

    Also, to answer your meme, I have two theories:
    1. A vampire wouldn't bite a zombie or it would have no effect because the zombie has no blood and is already undead.

    2. On the off chance it DID have some sort of effect, it would likely turn the zombie into some sort of wight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also the vampire is already undead, so it would likely suffer no ill consequences from biting a zombie aside from the taste of rotted flesh in its mouth.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you on the quote, some of the language in this story is so thoughtfully picked out that it makes you really admire the setting. And since you put the whole zombie biting vampire thing that is all I have been thinking about, so thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,

    I love the meme; it fits in perfectly well! I would also agree that the word choices Stoker uses in Dracula are perfectly picked out in describing his story, but the diary entry format became a little confusing for me... It'll probably make more sense if I read it again having watched the movie. Great post!

    LA

    ReplyDelete