Monday, April 24, 2017

I Couldn't Think of a Clever Title

I’m not going to lie. I used to be obsessed with vampires. I’ve seen every single Twilight. I’ve watched almost every single episode of Vampire Diaries. True Blood and The Originals were good ones as well. I was first introduced to vampires from a True Blood episode. I was scrolling through iTunes when I had my blue iPod Nano and there was a free episode. (I loved the word FREE even at a young age). Once I was introduced, I was lowkey hooked for all middle school.
When I began this book, I imagined Harker as the human from Hotel Transylvania and Dracula as Dracula from the movie. The movie kind of mirrors the book. Jonathan stumbles upon a hotel strictly for monsters. NO HUMANS ALLOWED! Dracula did his best to hide Jonathan from the other hotel residents, but Jonathan ended up falling in love with his daughter.
            Like all the other books this is my first time reading Dracula. I immediately expected it to be like all the other vampire stories I’ve encountered. But that wasn’t the case. The way the book describes Dracula shows almost immediately THAT HE ISN’T HUMAN. Harker is very stupid and he literally put himself in the position be captured and fed on. Yeah I understand that he was sent there to close a transaction with Dracula, but if a man looking like that answered the door. I would be going in the opposite direction.
            Harker reminds me of people in horror movies. He went exploring, basically seeking danger. Honestly if I would have seen a human CLIMBING on a wall like a lizard, I would have dipped. There was no way I would go try to find out what’s up. He saw Dracula IN HIS COFFIN and he still didn’t go anywhere. Why? My guy you have got to do better.
            Dracula in fact was a bit spooky. I think it portrayed vampires in the way they were meant to be portrayed. Vampires now are sometimes depicted as soft. Like in twilight and Vampire Diaries. The Vampires in each of the vampires are softies because of a female. It’s cute and all, but if you’re a vampire shouldn’t you be a ruthless being?
            All together I like the way the book was composed. I like the way it jumped from journal entry to journal entry. It kept me intrigued. I also like how EVERYONE kept a journal. Only because not a lot of people keep journals now.


            

3 comments:

  1. I really like that you mentioned how Jonathan Harker reminded you of Jonathan from Hotel Transylvania- having never read Dracula before, that little bit of trivia was TOTALLY lost on me. Harker was undoubtedly that character's namesake, and that's really funny to me.

    Out of your list of vampire-related media, Hotel Transylvania is admittedly the only one I've ever seen. Never got into Twilight, I knew some people who liked True Blood but once again wasn't really my thing- really, never been much of a vampires guy. But this book has made me appreciate how creepy they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly what I thought about Johnathan as well, he always goes looking for trouble, like why did he have to explore a place that people said he shouldn't be at! He also should have picked up on how creepy Dracula was but maybe he just thought he was some weird foreign guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bria,

    Like we said in class, the super specific details Harker uses to describe Dracula should've been a clear sign to get away ASAP. And after watching the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dracula creeped me out even more to be honest! It wasn't something I expected for the character Dracula, but I guess it works... Nice post!

    LA

    ReplyDelete