Monday, April 3, 2017

Pride over YouTube


            This series was actually something that I thought was very clever and well done. They take a classic and well known story, and give it a modern touch and update the language and technology. However, I’m not the biggest fan of how it is performed and executed, it makes sense that there are no other sets and scenes, but it makes it boring and bland (until we get much later, but that’s only for a few episodes).

            The characters are very well portrayed and match the book characters very very well. The way they portray Mr. and Mrs. Bennet is spot on to what we know from the book, Mr. Bennet is always looking for ways that he can annoy and tease his wife (Lizzie has the chart saying that all he likes is to annoy her). Mrs. Bennet is also showed as the woman who is trying to find her daughters a husband, and making sure to get their name out there no matter what, finding every opportunity to “help them”. They also got how Lizzie first feels about Darcy, calling him Mr. Douchey and making him seem like a total jerk off and ass, much like how the book portrays him.

            There are however a lot of characters that are completely over the top and sometimes extremely annoying. Gosh, Lydia is someone that I cannot deal with at all, she almost makes the series completely unwatchable at times. Every time she enters a scene I want to fast forward or turn it off. After about episode nine the series, to me, was getting very repetitive, the same set, same stories, and the same overused jokes. Even at times Lizzie can just be way too over the top, forcing me to want to look away and focus on something else, but alas I must type up this blog.

            Really this isn’t a bad show at all, there are some things that it does extremely well. It portrays quite a few of the characters almost perfectly taking exact themes from the book and hits their quirks right on the head. Then there are quite a few times that makes me want to turn this off as quick as possible (anytime with Lydia) and it takes time to actually go through and try and watch all these episodes.

5 comments:

  1. I don't really enjoy this series as much as I could simply because the characters tend to annoy me. I agree with you, Lydia's character is so annoying and I hate it whenever she appears in a video (of course she was in video 69). The characters just seem to over act more than they should and it makes it less believable to me. I do enjoy watching just to see the different ways the change but incorporate the parts of the novel. But overall, if I didn't have to watch this for class, I would never watch it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the creators did the best they could possibly do since it's a vlog. I definitely think they handicapped themselves from doing this edition, but in the end I thought they did a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the diaries were GREAT. Lydia wasn't that annoying tbh. She acts just as any younger sibling would. My brother does roughly the same things, yeah it can be annoying but at the same time I know its just him showing me love. I love the modern take they did on the story, I'm pretty sure this is what helped me understand it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I was excited to watch the diaries, but since I watched them in bulk, I became very bored and disinterested. However, the more breaks I took in between,the more tolerable it was to watch.

    ReplyDelete