Sunday, April 23, 2017


When I saw, we were assigned to read Dracula I was excited. I will have to admit that Twilight is my guilty pleasure. However, once I begun reading Dracula I realized the extreme was it differed from twilight. For starters, the vampire in Dracula does not sound similar to Edward. With the easy the vampire is described in the book with pointed teeth and ears and red lips I feel like any human dumb enough to enter a house with Dracula needs some serious common sense.

I thought the way this book was written was interesting. Today we have so many blogs and journal entries out there that this was a neat experience to read such an old book in this format. It did take some getting used to for sure. Jonathan really irritated me. He was just like the dumb main character in every horror movie. You can yell and yell for them to not go through that door but they do it anyway.

Overall the beginning of this book is good. It just blows my mind that Johnathan did not catch the warning signs in the very beginning like come on dude! I don’t know many people that have howling wolves outside of their house. Also, there’s the fact that the horses are spooked just from being near the house. I had little to no sympathy for Johnathan because the warning signs were so there! However, to each their own. If we didn’t have the stupid main character in horror movies the movie would be pretty short as this book would have also been. We need the oblivious guy/ girl to walk through that door for the story to begin.

2 comments:

  1. This was my first time reading Dracula, but I never connected it to Twilight or anything along the lines of that because I just assumed Dracula was for people who enjoyed horror, rathe than watching vampires glisten in the sun. I also enjoyed the way the book was written! It's not like most books where one thing leads to the next and then there's a happy ending. I also agree that Stoker is dumb. I just didn't understand how he didn't realize any sooner that Dracula was a vampire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dracula is definitely different than Twilight! I guess both works offer something different for the audience they're going for. The more I read Dracula, the more I could see that it was definitely a book for horror fans.

    I agree with you about Jonathan being the dumb horror movie character! It was super frustrating for him to have all the signs in front of him not do go into the castle just for him to be like "Meh, I'll go in anyway."

    ReplyDelete