Wednesday, May 10, 2017

3/27 Pride and Prejudice Nasty, Filthy Wickham

So this is the first time I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and strangely enough, I'm rather enjoying it. I had trouble getting into it at the beginning, but after watching the BBC series, things are making more sense. I think the biggest problem I had was that I couldn't tell their tone of voice, and Austen rarely helped with that, so it clicked with the actors performance. I love Elizabeth, and Charlotte is super down to earth, which I appreciate (but hate the fact that she ended up with Mr. Collins because that man is a tool). At first, I severely disliked Darcy, but he grew on me after his personality switch in Pemberly.

It doesn't hurt that in the BBC series, he's played by Colin Firth, who I absolutely adore (and especially loved in Kingsman.
Such deliciousness~!)

Speaking of which, what the hell? That was quite the 180 in what seems like a rather short time. Did what Lizzy say really shock him that much?

But wow, the whole Lydia/ Wickham situation slapped me upside the head. I was not expecting that. I knew Wickahm was sleazy and suspicious, but really bro? And Lydia, what the hell? Does she not have a brain? Or eyes? Or maybe she has eyes and that's the problem because Wickham is some sort of gorgeousness, I guess? Seems nasty. Either way, sucks to suck for both of them because they'll both be miserable. Lydia will because Wickham is a two-face sack of shit with a debt problem and Wickham will be miserable because Lydia is a lot to handle (and I have the distinct feeling she'll have an affair, but then again I can see them both having affairs. Maybe it'll work if they agree to have an open relationship?) Either way, I'm not sorry for either of these characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment