Sunday, March 26, 2017

Lots of Personalities

I get it, Jane Austen thought I was "smart" and "capable" enough to keep all these characters straight. WRONG! There are too many sisters and too many potential suitors for these sisters. The exercise we did in class as a group helped me tremendously, but I still get confused in group conversation (this also might be because some people know the full story and I do not). 

For this reason, I have come to really enjoy the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Following three sisters is much easier. I feel that this is much more manageable for the viewer, and allows a deeper incite into the characters, because there are only three sisters to develop ideas about. My favorite character is Lydia. She is so annoying and a bit of a slut, but I just love it. She plays the younger sister just right, and allows for a lot of contrast between the three sisters they chose to keep.

I think the youtube series kept the essential characters, and did not loose much of the plot line. Lizzie, the main vloger, even dresses up as her mother to retell stories, and often includes her friend Charlotte to play her sarcastic father. 


There are also guests on her Diary such as Mr. Collins, and eventually a very good looking Mr. Bingley.

Bingley and Jane

I have only watched the first 40 episodes, so I look forward to finishing it! Has anyone else started watching it? When you do, I suggest not reading the comments section. Those people get all wound up about a little fanfic. IT’S A FANFIC!! LET IT GO; IT WON’T BE JUST LIKE THE BOOK! What do you guys think of it, and do you like that there are only three sisters?  


            As for the other characters besides the sisters… I find myself loving to hate Mr. Darcy. I know from my classmates that he is just misunderstood, so maybe that influences my opinion, but as of now, I find him interesting. He seems to be an asshole for no reason, and because of that I love it. Most people give you some insight into why they act the way they act, but not Mr. Darcy. On top of that, he is best friends with the nicest guy in the world, Mr. Bingley. I wonder why such a nice guy would be friends with such an ass hole, so I figure there has to be some silver lining about Mr. Darcy.  

2 comments:

  1. I've started watching the YouTube series too and I'm liking it as well! I haven't read the comments yet so I'll try to stay away. I think keeping the story to only three sisters makes the story easier to follow.

    On your comment about Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingely being friends, I was thinking that maybe in a weird way they complement each other. Maybe like opposites attract?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't started this series yet, so I'm glad to hear that it's more accessible/less confusing than the novel while being just as entertaining. I love how you say you've "only watched the first 40 episodes" because I'm pretty sure there's only about 50. You're definitely ahead of the game!

    I think Darcy helps reign in Bingley's over-enthusiasm and impulsiveness while Bingley keeps Darcy from withdrawing too far within his introverted self. They're very interesting as friends and foils, and I'm looking forwards to seeing how this youtube series handles that.

    ReplyDelete